Wednesday 6 August 2014

Worldbuilding Day 5: The Map

Today's exercise is to draw 'The Map'. I get to cheat a little because I am currently just using a location I found on Google Earth that I feel fits the setting perfectly.

After deciding on the major features of the map I had to locate at least three places where their may be settlements, which I have indicated with red dots. This may actually be too many settlements involved with my megadungeon, because I want the focus on exploration and less on city politics and drama, which over the last few years I have had enough of.

megadungeon settlements map

I am considering changing this to a hex based map since there are already so many tools available to facilitate hex based adventures, but since I have this area available via Google Earth I may go with vector based travel. Looking at this map also gives me some indication on which areas should have different encounter tables, which can potentially be a series of post in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment